Title : Database Developer
Location : Cape Town (Mowbray)
At redPanda Software we have a decade of experience in developing customised software for the retail and financial industries. Working with clients in South Africa, Africa and the UK, we have built our reputation for producing the highest quality solutions across the following specialised business processes: Customer Experience, Point of Sale, Data Warehousing, Credit Management, Insurance and Payment Systems. Our core values are: Harmony, Pride, and Accountability in everything we do.
• Apply high-level of skills in database design, installations, and conversions
• Responsible for database backup and recovery procedures, access security and database integrity, physical data storage design, and data storage management
• Design, implement and maintain data warehouse
• Applies expertise in specific DBMS such as Sybase, SQL Server and Postgres & Document Databases
• Operate, maintain, backup, and recover the database environments
• Implement changes.
• Troubleshoot and solve incidents.
• Monitor and analyse performance issues.
• Work with numerous technical teams to improve core infrastructure and to spend time with the development teams to assist with mentoring, code reviews, support etc
• Work closely with and provide direct DBA Support for customers, application development and production support teams.
• Ensure compliance with operational / change management guidelines.
• Strong communicator, fluent in English.
• Flexible, open-minded, team worker, with a friendly and pleasant personality.
• Self-driven, able to work under pressure (deadlines).
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to manage, prioritize and solve problems quickly and completely
• Recent experience with Sybase, Postgres, SQL Server, Windows Server and Linux.
• Basic scripting knowledge: Bash/Perl/Python scripting.
• Exposure to cloud-based database platforms (Azure, AWS, GCP).
• Basic awareness of other infrastructure technologies – for example; Linux, Windows administration, storage, or data networking.
• Good Analytical and troubleshooting experience on above.
• Experience in large enterprise supporting numerous servers and databases preferred.
• Willing to work occasionally in nonstandard working hours (on call and planned work).
• Experience in mission critical, high availability, high reliability environments.
• Provide real time support to maintain the necessary functionality and respond to issues as they arise.
• Support technical users by identifying and resolving user problems.
• In-depth understanding of database maintenance and performance tuning including the following: installation, configuration, upgrade, monitor, manage, performance tuning of Sybase, SQL Server and Postgres.
• Bachelors Degree or diploma in an IT related field
• 8+ years experience in a similar role
• Competency based interview to assess above requirements
• Applicable assessment
• Background checks